Geek.Zone is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation that helps geeky people connect with geeky people! No matter what your hobby or interest is, you are sure to find a likeminded community at Geek.Zone.
Geek.Zone provides a safe space where knowledge, passions and curiosity are freely expressed and encouraged. We promote mental well-being and, through community support, help each other to overcome anxiety and depression. We do this by running events, where individuals can enjoy exciting, new experiences and make great, new friends in a relaxed and welcoming environment.
We are here to fight for the right to be geek.
While there is clearly still a lot of inequality in society, former bastions such as sexism, homophobia and racism are thankfully starting to wane. Unfortunately, however, there is arguably still a stigma against geekery. We are here to let every geek know that they are not alone, and to encourage everyone to embrace their geek side. We believe that we are better together, so get involved and spread the geek love!
Don't think you are a geek? Come along to an event and discover your inner geek! Remember, "geek" is a compliment!
As a Geek.Zone community, together we;
- Support each other through anxiety and mental wellbeing difficulties
- Run events to promote social inclusion
- Fight to change the negative perception of "geek"
- Offer a safe space, free from harassment
- Create links with local organisations to provide community support
We currently have three Districts;
Each runs their own events, however, all run a Pint Night, which is an easygoing evening in a local pub. This is often a great introduction to the IRL community! Take a look at the calendar to find out which events work well for you.
If getting to our "meatspace" events might be a bit difficult, then you can still join in the Geek.Zone community online! We have forums, blogs, on-demand TV and radio as well as more in the pipeline. Get involved!
We have taken the following actions to further our charitable objects.
- Form relationships throughout the community
- Build links with other organisations
- Seek space for Geek.Zone/01
Here are some achievements that we are quite proud of.
- UK Registered Charity status
- Almost 2000 followers on meetup
- Helped many members through mental health problems
- Hundreds of friendships and several romantic relationships